Monday, June 1, 2009

Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Centre

One one of my days off recently I decided to take a break from the noisy crowded city, and took a Betelnut Jeep Tour to the Phnom Tamao Wildlife Centre. It was about a one and a half hour, uncomfortable drive out into the province in the back of this jeep. The other three were very nice young American tourists.

This young Khmer lady was our tour guide for the day. She really loves the animals and is really passionate about what the Rescue Centre, and the organizations they work with, does for them.
These elephants have been rescued from poachers, as have most of these animals. Some of the animals, like monkeys etc, were found illegally chained up as domestic pets.






The baby elephant seen here taking a bath, is two years old. He has lost a foot from being caught in a tiger trap. His mother abandoned him because she had not other choice. He was trapped and they both would have starved to death. He was found in time, but starving, and brought to the Centre for treatment and rehab. Apparently he has an artificial foot that he walks on.
This is a tiger cat. There were two of these beauties. looks just like our domestic Tabby Cat doesn't he? Almost cuddly!!
I'm not sure what type this monkey was but she loved having her foot scratched..




This is a close up of her paw...hand...or whatever the correct name is.
There were many animals there, each with their individual rescue story, which our very knowledgeable tour guide shared with us. Sorry I can't remember them all, and you would probably get bored anyway. Sometimes you just have to have been there.
This very distinguished gentleman was very content in his spot in the shade. I did learn that during mating season the keepers cut their antlers off because they become too aggressive and do a lot of damage. All those hormones jumping around I guess. And that male ego rises again...ha ha.
You scratch my tummy and I'll scratch yours!!!!
I don't know this guys name either, but I thought he was a very unusual creature and worth a spot of fame!! Anyway that is all for that day's trip. It was very refreshing to get out of Phnom Pehn for the day. We had to race a storm back to town so we didn't get drenched on the way. Thanks for tuning in. Bye for now, till next time - God bless you, Lane.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lane,
    Glad to read of your 'escape to the wilds'.
    Obviously you were ready for a good dose of refreshing "somewhere-else". Even short interludes-with-camera must at times help. eh?.

    My apologies for super-slackness on my part; with communications. Your blog pics stories & info are all great Lane. Giving us a really good insight into your surroundings, & some of the many needs etc.

    Hopefully I will get one of those round-thingies, & email you shortly about our men's camp, & my Riverina wanderings. The travel bug has bitten! (I just need lots of $$, so I can!)

    God Bless,

    ReplyDelete